1933 Shanghai is located in Hongkou District of Shanghai. It is designed by the British and built in 1933 to be used as a slaughterhouse. Now, it has been restored as a creative hub with cafes, restaurants, shops, and design workshops. The four storey concrete building is built around a central atrium and has a spiderweb of ramps, “air bridges”, stairs, and corridors, like one of Escher’s paintings.
The Art Deco facade of the 1933 building.
Heading up one of the numerous ramps.
Art Deco window